Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WWW Wednesday: No. 2

I am having an amazingly slow week. Everything seems to be coming along just after I'd like it to be. Blog posts at mid-afternoon, rather than mid-morning, for example! So, I thought a meme might be a fun way to spend the afternoon, and as always MizB at Should Be Reading has one to offer. So, here's my contribution to WWW Wednesday...

mysteries_udolpho_oxford08w
What are you currently reading?
My current read is The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (published in 1794). Okay, I wouldn't say I'm currently reading it, more like I just moved it to the top of my to-be-read pile and will start it this afternoon. It's one of the books upon which I intend to base my thesis, so I need to get after it! Today's as good a day as any.
theharlotAlso...
I'm also going to start reading The Harlot by Saskia Walker, for those times when I really need a break from the dense academic reading involved in digesting something like Udolpho. Besides, I love the cover!
tamingrake
What did you recently finish reading?
I just finished Kasey Michaels' The Taming of the Rake.  I really quite liked it, the review is coming soon. I will say, if you really enjoy regency, and you've read and enjoyed Kasey Michaels novels, you'll like this book. The expected publication date for this book is July 26th, but you can read an excerpt at Kasey Michaels' website if you're interested.
clermontxl What do you think you'll read next?
Next up is definitely Clermont by Regina Maria Roche (published 1798).  One of the horrid novels suggested by Isabella Thorpe in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, Clermont is both one of the classical gothic novels, and was written by a contemporary of Ann Radcliffe, the first female Gothic. If you hadn't guessed already, this book is also on of the novels for my thesis.
collidecover Also...
I don't normally read contemporary romance--I normally stick to regency romance--but I couldn't resist this one. I love, love, love the cover! So, on the weight of the cover and the description on NetGalley, I'm going to give this one a go. This is going to be my reading vacation from Clermont, should I need one. Sometimes, I just need a fun read to break away with.
All right, so there it is. Better late than never, I suppose. I really need to step it up. I don't know what's going on this week, but maybe next week will be better. No, next week will be better since I'm going to a book signing! For now, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment